Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Sometimes I Wonder about SIDES!

No, not these sides, side dishes!
I was recently in Austin for a professional conference, and a group of faculty, students, and alumni got together for dinner. We got our eat on at a fantastic little out-of-the-way joint that had the most interesting side items. It got me thinking--what are my favorite side items?
Clearly side items depend on the entree, but are there certain ones that you just have to have? Are there any that you would gag at if they brought to your table? What about the cost of these dear meal companions?


ps, I had the broccoli with lemon butter. Lemon and butter was more like it, but it was delicious.
post ps, the eastside cafe is a great place. they grow all of the vegetables that they use in their garden. you can read more about it on their website, cleverly linked above.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Fried okra. My all-time favorite side. And low cal, too.

25/10/06 14:48  
Blogger Ryan Remains said...

Big fan of chips and salsa. Seriously.

Did you see the fall collection? That's my only Austin connection. Word.

25/10/06 18:46  
Blogger skinnylittleblonde said...

Side items kill me, I love them ...I can make an entire meal out of them...broccoli, mashed potatoes, green beans, fried okra, macaroni & cheese... love 'em all! Appetizers, too.

26/10/06 02:47  
Blogger MF said...

The only okra that is edible is fried, hate to say it. When they stew that stuff with tomatoes, it looks like a huge pot of sick.

I mean, no offense.

RR--I hear you on the chips and salsa. Quick dumb story--went to a Chili's restaurant in Miami one vacation. They had salsa, but no chips. Literally, when we ordered them, we saw a guy run across the street to the grocery store and buy some, bring them back, and serve them as their own. It was great, but the chips sucked.

Skinny--you picked some good ones. I had some green beans the other day that could have made my hazel eyes turn blue. (Thanks, Roxette). Yum.

Jenny---seriously...KFC Cole slaw? I don't know about you.

26/10/06 09:48  
Blogger Ryan Remains said...

I like it. Too bad the chips sucked...they should have got Tostita's Green Lime and Chile. Mmmmm.

27/10/06 12:28  
Blogger kt said...

At a pub in Chicago called Boston Blackie's, I just had the first cole slaw I liked. It was good!!!

My favorite is corn, not on the cob. Yum.

28/10/06 15:33  
Blogger MF said...

pickled pigs feet are NOT ok.

7/11/06 17:57  
Blogger Spanky and Family said...

All the way to Austin and you didn't call. Wow....it's 45 minutes away. That's it, we're no longer going to be BFF! Spanks

9/6/08 12:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home